It's a Beautiful Day Outside... - Undertale Redraw

 


Characters -
Frisk (Undertale)
Sans (Undertale)
Time - Approx. 2.5 Hours

Two years ago I posted the original version of this drawing. I was very very proud of it at the time. And y'all seemed to really like it to; It's still the most popular post on my blog by a humongous margin. As of now, it is my least favorite digital piece I have done. But! I've been wanting to redraw it for a while, so I did. And, oh, I am very happy I did. I absolutely love this piece.

In my original post for this drawing, I mentioned a few issues that I had, so let's see how I improved the piece since then, shall we?

Issue 1( Frisk doesn't feel like they fit in the scene
The idea with all of those Undertale drawings I did in 2020 was that they were supposed to look like screenshots. The original of this drawing did not look much like a screenshot from Undertale. Frisk looked like they'd been copy pasted into the image instead of actually being there. I tackled that by focusing a little bit more on the composition of the piece. I decided to have it be at the same angle as this speech in game. Frisk is ever so slightly in motion, and I added their and Sans' reflections on the tile floor. They and Sans are also on the same plane now instead of Sans in the foreground and Frisk sloppily added behind him.

Issue 2( Sans
Even 2020 me knew there was something up. Sans also does not look like he should be there. And the way that I shaded him makes no sense. I did attempt to add in the glowing blue eye in this one, but it wasn't really working. Still an improvement on... whatever I was going for in the original. I actually really love drawing Sans and the other Undertale/Deltarune monster characters. I tend to get stuck in trying to make human characters look too real, even though I draw pretty cartoon-y characters. I am working on this. But when a character isn't a human, I can really let loose and use big exaggerated shapes. I really like how I captured Sans' silhouette here.

There are definitely places I can improve this drawing, too. The light from the far right window is going the wrong way, and some of the perspective on the floor is off. As mentioned in my section about Sans, I still want to get more loose with my drawing of human characters. Frisk and Sans are approximately the same height in game, but I made Frisk slightly taller than Sans in this. The pillars, though, came out so good!

I'd really like to do some of these for Deltarune at some point. If you have any scenes from Deltarune you'd like to see, let me know and I might draw it! If you have any questions about my art, feel free to ask below!

Stay Awesome! <3

Comments

The Best of the Best

It's a Beautiful Day Outside - Undertale Fanart

Unfinished Symphony - Dream SMP Fanart

My First Doll Repaint!: Day One + Photos