Redesigning An Old Character - Speargirl

 

Character - Ivy Markus (Speargirl)
Time: Approx. 1.5 Hours

I think it's important to note that this is still a beta version of this new character design. This is one of, if not my oldest, original character. She has had a lot of changes over the years, from being a self-insert to who she is today. The only trace of this character on my blog before now is this post from 2018. Oh how much I have grown as an artist since then...

Her old color scheme was kind of a mess. Even at that stage, I was still clinging onto her as a self-insert. Hence the heavy overuse of cyan. Thematically for her character, it makes more sense for her color scheme to be mostly green. Another difference between this version and the older version is how her power looks aesthetically. Her origin story used to be that she got her powers from "toxic weapon waste" that allowed her to shoot spears out of her hands. I have obviously changed this, but I'm keeping that change to myself for now. In the old drawing you can see green lines on the tiny spear and this little floating green guy. That was me trying to make the fact that her powers were somewhat radioactive a little more obvious. For her redesign, I have the drippy pattern on the hoodie that harkens back to the little splash pattern on the original's shirt. The spear now has a much more Undyne from Undertale vibe to it (hence "Speargirl the Undying"). The boots are inspired ever so slightly by Uravity's boots in My Hero Academia. This inspiration is more obvious in some other versions of this design that I have been working on.

I've been really fired up about this character recently, and I hope y'all enjoy her too! She reads a lot better as a kick-butt superhero now than she did before. If you have any questions about my art or characters, feel free to ask in the comments!

Stay Awesome <3

Comments

The Best of the Best

It's a Beautiful Day Outside - Undertale Fanart

Unfinished Symphony - Dream SMP Fanart

My First Doll Repaint!: Day One + Photos